Getting Started Checklist

Getting Started in Government Contracting for Veteran-Owned Businesses

This step-by-step checklist will help you understand what is involved in becoming an approved Veteran-owned small business government contractor:

If you have not determined the type of business entity that you want to form, ask your local AZSBDC Business Analyst for assistance or request an appointment with an AZSBDC counselor HERE.

If you choose to be an LLC (limited liability corporation), the documents for filing are located on It takes approximately eight weeks to obtain your LLC approval. Publishing notice can take as long as three additional weeks.

Once you have determined and set up your company’s legal status:

  1. Obtain your DUN’s number (Dun & Bradstreet identification number). Call 1-866-705-5711 and tell the person who answers that you want a DUN’s number for Federal Contracting.
  2. Obtain your EIN (employer identification number). Call the IRS at (800) 829-4933 and be prepared to answer the questions on the SS-4 form. Preview it HERE.
  3. Wait 5-7 days for these numbers to become active in the system.
  4. Open a business checking account at your local bank.
  5. Go to and begin the process of completing your SAM (System for Award Management) database information. (All of the previous items are needed for the SAM database.)
  6. Wait 5-7 days for the SAM database to become active.
  7. Go to and complete the database information.
  8. Go to and complete the vendor information. Be sure to show that you are interested in a solicitation.

Congratulations! You are ready to get started. Contact your AZSBDC counselor to discuss how you can optimize government contracting opportunities, to learn how to bid and present bids and to learn how to manage cash flow for contracting and growth.

Scroll to Top